PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are regularly sanitizing our office space and, to the extent possible, are communicating with our clients by telephone and/or video conferencing and/or email as much as possible. Please call our office to discuss your options and stay well.
Teren Law Group. P.C.
Free Case Evaluations Available Call Us Now At 310-870-0375
Free Case Evaluations Available Call Us Now At 310-870-0375

Strong Legal Advocacy In The Workplace & In The Courtroom

Proudly Helping Employees Across All Walks Of Life

We Put Your Interests First

A Record Of Success At Trial

A Personal Approach To Your Case

Strong Legal Advocacy In The Workplace & In The Courtroom

What can I do if I experience sexual harassment at work?

On Behalf of | Jun 14, 2024 | Sexual Harassment

In California, sexual harassment at work is considered to be a violation of civil rights laws. This offense involves unwelcome sexual advances and other actions that create an offensive work environment based on someone’s sex.

If you are a victim of sexual harassment in the workplace, know that you can file a complaint and come forward with your story.

Filing a complaint

If you decide to report the harassment, you may check your company’s policy and see how you can take action. You may file the complaint in writing, noting each incident of harassment and all parties involved.

You may also report the incident to the appropriate agency. In California, you can report these cases to the California Civil Rights Department (CRD) and the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).

The CRD is a state agency responsible for protecting residents from discriminatory acts at work. If officials determine that the accused violated civil rights laws, the department may seek compensation on your behalf.

Meanwhile, the EEOC is responsible for enforcing antidiscrimination laws at the federal level. You can send your detailed complaint to the commission online.

After filing your report, agency officials may initiate an investigation. They will contact the accused party for a response. You will have the opportunity to review the response to help determine if the accused violated civil rights laws.

If the investigation determines that a violation has been committed, the agency will forward the case to the legal division for a possible lawsuit or mediation.

Know your legal options

If a lawsuit is on the table, you may need the help of an experienced lawyer. An attorney can help explore your legal options and fight against those who violate your rights.


FindLaw Network